Brazil is a massive country, with hundreds of sites and places. Unfortunately long distances, poor infrastructure and high prices keep long-term travellers away.
- Lençois Maranhenses is well known (and stunning!), but very close to it is the Parnaida Delta, Barra Grande Beach and Sete Cidades National Park. Lovely places in a not much travelled state (Piauí)
- Close to Paraty, popular colonial town south of Rio de Janeiro State, is Praia do Sono Beach. One of the most beautiful beaches in Brazil, only possible to reach by trail or by boat. It is possible to go around the whole peninsula (Ponta da Joatinga) walking if you want. Very well preserved Atlantic Forest, beautiful beaches and fisherman villages.
- Ilha do Mel/Guaraqueçaba/Superagui National Park. Another well preserved Atlantic Forest area. You can explore the communities by boat, see dolphins, enjoy waterfalls, and hang out on the car-free Ilha do Mel.
- Abrolhos archipelago, just offshore of Caravelas, you stay overnight only on the boat. You don´t go for the islands, they are protected, but for the marine life. Great place to scuba dive or snorkel.
- Praia do Rosa, it is quite well known, not far from Florianópolis. Rolling green hills, with great views, a lagoon, big waves for surfing, whale watching and a cool atmosphere.