Viewing The Dubai Fountain
by Michelle Gebert - 3 years, 11 months ago
The Dubai Fountain is a stunning piece of art. When it is not playing it is an unassuming calm pond. When it plays, it plays. A trip to Dubai is not complete without seeing this stunning work of choreography. Like most popular tourist attractions in Dubai it can become incredibly crowded and finding a good viewing spot becomes an uncomfortable experience. Below are some places, mostly restaurants, were you can enjoy dinner or drinks and have an unobstructed view of The Dubai Fountain. There is also a walkway which goes around the area where the fountains are located. Along this walkway, especially near the mall entrance/Souk Al Bahar area it can become quite busy. Best to go more in the direction of Burj Khalifa where there are generally less people.
1. Joe's Café: Joe's Café is located on the second level of Fashion Avenue of the Dubai Mall across from Mulberry. We ended up here as the outside terrace of Madeleine was full. A café latte/cappuccino will cost you AED29 each. A more contemporary feel than Madeleine or Ladurée it still has a cozy, classy vibe to it.
2. Madeleine: is located on the first level of Fashion Avenue. Wonderful Pariesien style restaurant which serves excellent food and has, like Joe's, amazing and unobstructed views of the fountains, Burj Khalifa and The Address Downtown Dubai. A café latte/cappuccino will cost you AED18 each. I have eaten dinner here a couple times and each time walked away happy and satiated.
3. PAUL Bakery & Restaurant: also located in the Dubai Mall (first level) and a very popular institution in Dubai also offers outside seating with views of the fountains. The view may not be as direct as Joe's and Madeleine but it is still a good option. PAUL is a French style restaurant with wonderful desserts and a very rich hot chocolate. The hot chocolate is definitely a more budget friendly version to what is served at Ladurée.
4. Neos: Neos is the skybar located in The Address Downtown Dubai. From the 63rd floor you have a birds eye view of the fountains as well as a view across downtown Dubai and to the Burj Khalifa. Going there before 21h00 will usually guarantee you the best seating. Neos is more chic and upscale than the previous mentioned locations so take care to follow a smart casual dress code as a minimum. They will turn you away if you are dressed in sneakers. In The Address Downtown Dubai also has Calabar which is a Latin inspired lounge bar which offers various styles of indoor and outdoor seating and is also worth checking out if you prefer a chic night out.
5. Armani Hotel Dubai: one cannot talk about chic and skip past the Armani Hotel Dubai. The design aesthetic of Giorgio Armani is ever present in this name sake hotel. The Armani/Lounge, looking out to The Dubai Fountain, ideal for a light meal and opportunity to experience the vision of Giorgio Armani.
6. At.mosphere: quite possible the crème de la crème of "overlooking the fountains" dining is At.mosphere. Located on the 122nd floor of the Burj Khalifa it takes high tea to new heights (that pun was necessary). The high tea was an experience like no other and truly an indulgence. Whether you go for high tea or evening drinks before dinner take care to dress to impress and bring a camera with full battery.
So there you have it: a small list of different places to view the fountains from. There are so many more restaurants and cafes on the ground floor of The Dubai Mall to view the fountains from but often your view will be obstructed by others who are trying to view the fountains. Souk Al Bahar also as a wide variety of dining options to choose from.