by Hruday Chand - 1 year, 3 months ago
Coorg or Madikeri is a wonderful hill station located near Bangalore. South Indian state Karnataka is a home for travelers with its pilgrimages, historical sites, waterfalls, beaches, hill stations, palaces and many other attractions. Coorg is one of the best hill station in south India.
Coorg is one of the best travel destinations in Kodagu district of Karnataka, it is also called as Madikeri. The name is came from Muddu Raja Keri (Mudduraja's town), named after Haleri king Mudduraja. He ruled Kodagu from 1633 to 1687.Mysure is the nearest town to coorg, which is 120 kms and Mangalore is 136 kms away. Here are the top things to do in Coorg.
1. Raja's Seat - Raja Seat is a garden of flowers and artificial fountains. A small view piont which is favourite recreation spot for Kodagu kings.
2. Madikeri fort - Madikeri Fort is a historical land mark of Coorg. The fort was built by Haleri king Mudduraja.
3. Omkareshwara Temple - Temple was built by the king Linga Rajandra II in 1820,dedicated to lord Shiva.
4. Abbey falls - Abbey Falls is a wonderful waterfall situated amidst the mountains of Western Ghats in Coorg.Most visited water falls in Karnataka with a breath taking view.
5. Dubare Elephant Camp - Dubare is known for its Elephant training center on the banks of Cauvery river of Kodagu, Karnataka. There are several opportunites for trekking, elephant rides, fishing and river rafting.
6. Cauvery Nisargadhama - Cauvery Nisargadhama is a river island & One of the most scenic places in Coorg.
7. Tibetan Monastery - Also Called as golden temple. After Dharmashala, second largest Tibetans settlement in India. The monastery was established by the 11th throne-holder of the Palyul lineage, His Holiness Drubwang Padma Norbu Rinpoche in 1963, following his 1959 exit from Tibet as the second seat of the Palyul Monastery, one of the six great Nyingmapa Mother monasteries of Tibet prior to annexation.
8. Nagarhole National Park - Nagarhole National Park also known as Rajiv Gandhi Park is one of the best wild life sanctuary in south India.
9. Irupu Falls - Irupu Falls are located in the Brahmagiri Range in the Kodagu district of Karnataka. It is also one of the Magnificent waterfalls in Brahmagiri hills.
10. Mallali Falls - Mallali falls is one of the best water falls in Karnataka formed by Kumaradhara river.
Trekking & Adventures Activities in Coorg
1. Tadiyandamol Peak Trekking - Tadiandamol trek is one of the most beautiful, though less known, treks in Karnataka. It is also the second highest peak in Karnataka.
2. Pushpagiri Hills / Subrahmanya Hills Trekking - Pushpagiri is a mountain peak situated in Kodagu district of Karnataka. It is also the second highest peak in Madikeri, at an altitude of 5626 feet.
3. Brahmagiri Hills Trekking - Brahmagiri Wildlife Sanctuary is a popular wildlife sanctuary situated in Kodagu district of Karnataka state and is part of the Western Ghats. It is the most prefarable trek in coorg, at an altitude of 5357 feet.
4. White Water Rafting - water rafting at upper Barapole river. This is the top water rafting attraction in South India.
Apart from these Coorg has many other destinations and more places to visit and also some of the best 2 day trip from Bangalore.